A heel spur refers to a hook of bone that forms on the heel bone and are common in people with a history of pain caused by plantar fasciitis. However, many people without the heel pain can have a heel spur.
- Ice: apply ice to the are to control the pain and inflammation
- Stretch: Stretching your feet and calf muscles will relax the muscles surrounding the heel bone for relief.
- Anti-inflammatory medicines: Over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines will reduce inflammation and pain
- Orthotics: Custom or store-bought shoe inserts give the proper arch support to reduce pain and stress on the ligament
- Night Splints: these are worn to keep the heel stretched out when you sleep and reduce pain when you wake up