Shin splints account for 13% of all running injuries and yet it is one that most don’t understand.
It starts out as a dull pain in the front of your leg either during or after exercise and if left untreated, it can keep you from any sort of exercise for good.
This is a simple injury to fix without surgery if caught early and can be caused by three different conditions.
- Overused and irritated muscles
- Stress fractures in the leg bone
- Over-pronation caused by flat feet
- Icing: Applying ice to the painful area for a few days in a row, will control swelling and reduce pain
- Orthotics: While over the counter orthotics may help with your pain, our podiatrists can make you custom orthotics to properly prevent your foot rolling inwards when you take a step
- Proper shoes: Take time to make sure you are wearing the right shoes for your activity and foot type. Click here to read more about selecting new shoes.
- Anti-inflammatory: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen can help to reduce the swelling and pain.
- Stretching: Range of motion exercises and stretching will strengthen the surrounding muscles and relieve the pain.